One of the leading concerns for Airbnb hosts is ensuring the safety and security of guests. To achieve this, hosts often research and implement the best smart locks for Airbnbs. However, not all smart door locks for Airbnb deliver the same security and features. In a marketplace that is flooded with smart locks, Airbnb hosts out the best option for their rental residence.
To aid in this process, we’ll go into how Airbnb locks work, the best smart home locks to consider, and what to look for when finding the best smart locks for Airbnb.
How Smart Locks For Airbnb and Homes Work
Smart locks work by using technologies such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or Z-Wave, to connect and communicate with smartphones or other compatible devices. After the smart lock is connected (often through a mobile app), the host can use the smart Airbnb door lock to:
- Access the lock or lock the door remotely
- Grant keyless entry or unlock the door for Airbnb guests
- Configure through a guest check, guest codes, or a unique code
- Monitor the lock’s status and battery life in real-time
Additionally, a smart lock for Airbnb may feature increased functionality, such as having built-in sensors that can alert the rental property owner of the door opening and closing, or if a door has been open for a certain amount of time.
Did You Know 57% of All Burglaries Use Forcible Entry?
Upgrade your door lock for Airbnb properties and get new keys fast today.
The 3 Best Airbnb Smart Locks
The best smart door lock for Airbnb comes down to your budget and desired features. With so many different types to choose from, it can be overwhelming for hosts who need a lock for an Airbnb to find one that provides the needed security. To help you learn about the best security locks available, here are the top 3 Airbnb locks on doors:
1. August Smarts Locks
One of the most popular smart locks is the August Smart Lock Pro, which features a sleek design and mobile app control. This lock has a deadbolt adapter design, making installation easier. It can integrate with other smart home devices, like Google Home and Amazon Alexa, and the lock is Wi-Fi and Bluetooth-enabled allowing it to offer additional features such as:
- Remote access
- Voice command
- Activity log feed
2. Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt
Another excellent choice for Airbnb hosts is the Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt. This keypad smart lock is easy to install, has a built-in alarm system, a low-battery indicator, and pairs easily with the Schlage app and the Key by Amazon App with its Wi-Fi capabilities.
3. Yale Assure Lock SL
The Yale Assure Lock SL is a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth-enabled touchscreen keypad smart lock that offers a Z-Wave Plus feature, enabling seamless integration with existing smart devices and security systems.
Installation typically takes no more than a few minutes, and while this lock cannot be accessed with traditional keys, hosts can create up to 25 unique codes and personalize individual guest lock features and settings.
Did You Know?
The Smart Lock market is projected to reach $6.74 billion by 2030 with a CAGR of 19.5% from 2022 to 2030.
What Homeowners Should Know About Smart Locks for Airbnb
Smart locks for Airbnb are a practical and reliable way to secure a home and vacation rental. With a smartlock, Airbnb property owners can strengthen security measures, stay in the loop through real-time alerts and monitoring, and replace outdated locks for Airbnb properties with stronger, better locks.
Among the key criteria to look for in a good Airbnb lock includes:
- Design – There are two main types of smart locks for Airbnb owners to know. These are:
- Deadbolt replacement locks: These are the most common smart locks, and they often feature exterior components, such as a keypad, key fob, or fingerprint scanner – while most are controlled through a mobile app. Also, the number of programmable access codes can vary by model, from a few to unlimited.
- Deadbolt adapter locks: These smart locks are app-controlled and easier to install because they lack an exterior component like a keypad. As a result, owners and guests need to download the app to access the property.
- Security – Security is a top concern for Airbnb rentals, with Bluetooth-enabled devices typically offering more security than Wi-Fi-enabled locks, which are vulnerable to hacking. Some of the best locks for Airbnb even notify owners of potential tampering or forced entry, and offer additional lock features such as:
- Deadbolt adapter locks
- Commercial-grade options
- Two-factor authentication (2FA)
- Reliability – The last thing an Airbnb host needs is for its guests to be locked out. Before purchasing, check the battery’s stamina and remember the simpler the device, the longer the battery life. For superior reliability, Bluetooth-powered locks still work to unlock doors even if power and Wi-Fi are out – providing a best-case solution for all.
- Installation – Deadbolt replacement locks are often the most challenging to install, while smart adapter locks tend to be much easier. For smart lock installations where additional components are required (such as a new lock cylinder or Wi-Fi bridge), make sure to consider the time and costs required to purchase and install when buying a smart lock.
- Connectivity – Most of the best smart locks for Airbnb support connectivity through one of four mediums, which include:
- NFC: Some smart locks are powered via Near Field Communication (NFC), which uses radio waves to communicate between short distances. Similar to Bluetooth technology, NFC smart locks consume minimum energy. However, it should be noted, NFC chips tend to only work for Android devices.
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi smart locks provide additional features, such as remote access and system integration, and be used in combination with Bluetooth to increase security and capabilities.
- Z-Waves: Similar to Wi-Fi, Z-Wave-powered smart locks consume far less power although an extra Z-Wave hub is required as they cannot communicate directly with smartphones.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth smart locks are by far the most popular as all smartphones nowadays have Bluetooth. Additionally, Bluetooth smart locks offer geofencing, meaning they only prompt phones to search for and recognize the lock once a guest has reached a certain radius around the property, thereby saving battery.
- Smart Features – Wi-Fi-enabled smart locks provide a wide range of features that can be controlled through an app. Before deciding which smart lock is best for you, make sure the app is not only user-friendly but also compatible with both iOS and Android devices.
Additional features often included with the best smart locks for Airbnb include:
- Autolock: The autolock feature uses geofencing to automatically lock and unlock doors when an authorized device enters within a certain radius. For vacation rentals, this feature is particularly useful as guests may forget to lock the door. Be certain to read the reviews for locks with this feature, as they can be unreliable.
- Integration: Many Wi-Fi-enabled locks can integrate with smart home systems, allowing you to check security cameras, turn on lights, and more.
- Log Function: One of the most useful smart lock features is the log function, which adds an additional layer of security by logging who enters or leaves.
- Remote Access: Airbnb hosts love this feature, as it enables remote entry without physically having to be on location.
- Voice Activation: Voice-controlled smart locks are cutting-edge and can lock and unlock when a preselected passcode or phrase has been spoken.
Discover the Best Airbnb Smart Lock with Quicksmith Today
Installing the best door locks for Airbnb is an essential aspect of running a successful Airbnb. That’s why smart Airbnb door locks are an excellent option for hosts – user-friendly remote access has never been easier.
Still not sure where to start in picking a smart lock for your Airbnb? Give us a call – we’ll make tailored recommendations based on your property and its location. We’ll even take care of installation, so you know it’s done right the first time – and at a fair price.